Friday, October 13, 2006

Office Depression

A Newsweek article (10/16/2006, "Get the Man To a Monet") touches on the subject of office depression and the associated costs to employers. To quote:

"In 2002, for example, workers suffering from depression cost Lockheed Martin $786,000 in lost work hours, according to calculations by Tufts New England Medical Center in Boston.... Now researchers have new ideas about managing employee moods, and they begin with touches like fresh air, full-spectrum lighting, quiet offices, guided meditations, yoga breaks and cognitive counseling."

I'm not an expert on depression, its causes, or its cures. However, I would suspect that depression likely stems from deeper issues than could be solved by changing the office lighting and providing quiet time. From my discussion with people who have been through depression, it seems that this condition is beyond a simple "mood" like temporary sadness or melancholy. I think some probably causes could be:

1. A sense of lacking control in one's own life (e.g., too much work, too many demands)
2. Lack of self-identity and direction (without a bearing, it's easier for others to shape our lives)
3. Low self-esteem resulting from not enough reward (social, financial, or intrinsic) for our efforts

I don't think I was ever depressed with work in management consulting, but during my 2 years I had begun to feel a bit directionless. It seemed that my own personal motives for work did not coincide with the firm's motives for growth. This is one reason why I decided to take some time off. I needed to sharpen my own sense of purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home